What is Cataract?
Cataract is the most common eye problem. In a healthy eye, the lens is completely transperent, allowing rays to directly arrive in retina. In a healthy eye the image would be sharp and net. Cataract is the opacification or fogging of the lens which hinders the sight.
Because of the fact that not many rays can arrive in the eye, this situation causes a certain level of loss in the sight. The resolution and color of objects cannot be seen just like when you look through a dirts glass.
The opacification of lens in the eye is a continuing process.
What are the indications of cataract?
- A slow decrease in the sight
- Sensibility against the light, glare
- Double vision
- Reading difficulty
- Subsequent myopia
- Opaquenes and blanch of colors.
How it is treated?
The treatment of cataract is only possible by means of surgical operation. With the development of modern techniques, the cataract surgery can be held without injection, without narcosis and even without staying in hospital. With surgery, the old eye lens which has lost its transperancy is removed and an artificial eye lens (Intraocular Lens – IOL) is placed.
When the operation is needed?
The operation is needed when a loss of transparency, blur or sight difference between two eyes occur and negatively affect the daily life. It is not possible to strangle or restore the development of cataract through medical treatment. The only treatment method to be employed is the surgery. The current cataractous lens is removed and replaced with a transparent lens. Formerly the traditional sutured metghod was used for removing the cataract. In this method, the operation was continuing for longer time and complaints like sting feeling, irritation and blurry vision occured more frequantly. Also, in this old method sutures had to be removed. Today, more advanced techniques are developed. In the most advanced cataract surgery method, named phacoemulsification, we get into the eye with devices through a very short laceration on kornea and by means of ultrasound energy, dissect the lens into very small pieces and remove the debris with vacuum. The surgery is completed without suturing after placing a foldable lens into the eye through this small laceration. Phacoemulsification method is a very safe method with very few complications which increase the sight level in early period since no large laceration is needed and since the operation is held as closed system. No suture replacement is needed after the operation. In the surgery a local anesthesia is used as standard. You will not feel any pain because your eye is anesthetized. You may only feel light touches. Operation dures approximately 5 – 10 minutes according the type of cataract. Durign this time, you should not move your head or eye. During the phaco – surgery your pulse and blood pressure values are monitorized as standart. You can communicate with your doctor at any time during the operation.
Can cataract re-develop after the cataract surgery?
The re-development of cataract is definitely not possible since the current cataractous lens is compeletely removed. During the cataract surgery, a new lens is placed in the eye in a thin membrane after the removal of cataractous lens. This membrane may indensify in the post operation period. This situation does not depent to the course of surgery or the complication that occur during the surgery. The intensification of the membrane that fastens the lens can structurally occur in every eyes. However, young age group, diabetic patients and patients with above mentioned pseudoexfoliation are more sensitive to the intensification of this membrane. In such a case, the treatment does not include operation. The situation can be completely cured with a laser operation (YAG laser) which starts and ends within seconds.
Points to take into consideration before and after the cataract operation
- The administration of aspirin and similar medicines shall be suspended 3 days befor the operation.
- Patients can have breakfast at the day of operation but they shall breakfast shall be light.
- The medication used for systemic diseases like diabetes, hypertension and asthma, shall not be suspended at the day of operation. Patients shall continue to observe the insulin doses, oral anti – diabetic therapy and their diet. It is suggestible to bring the medicine (that you systemically get) with you at the date of operation.
- The patients shall properly wash their faces and avoid to make up or wearing lotion or perfume.
- Your cloths will be changed for the operation. For sterility, you will wear the operation cloths that will be available to you.
- You can return to your house shortly after the operation. Your doctor will recall you for examination within the first 36 hours. It is not suggested to return the house alone or to drive car after the operation.
During the surgery…
- Since you will not be completely anaesthetized during the surgery, you will be communicating with your surgeon in all time during the operation. You can tell your surgeon at that instance when you need to say something.
- The operation will be conducted via the phaco method which is also known as the suture – free method. Thanks to this method, your sight in early period will increase and no suture removal operation is needed.
- You are suggesed not to move your head or eyes for a very short time during the operation.
- All of the patient rooms of in – patient service of our hospital are of single person type.
- In your room a tv, a refrigerator, bath, w.c, air conditioner and a visitor seat is available.
How to put eye drops ?
- Wahs your hands plainly before putting the eye drop.
- If your doctor administrated two different eye drops after the operation, this drops shall not be put at the same time. The drops may interact. The second one shall be put 15 minutes after the first drop.
- It is suggested to shake the bottle befor appliyng the drop.
- Pull your lower eye lid downward and put the drop on the inferior eye lid. Do not let the tip of the drip to touch to your eye.
- The administration of drops shall continue by daylight. There is no need to put drops at night.
- Using the drops for 15 days in accordance with the schedule designated for you will be sufficient if otherwise is not stated.