What is Intralase ?
Lasik operation is composed of two main phases:
- Creation of corneal flap
- Re – shaping the cornea according to test results .
Traditionally, the corneal flap is prepared by means of a blade which is called as microceratome in LASIK Operation. In the literature: it is identified that the major part of the LASIK risks and complications occur in the course of flap preparing. Surgical techniques and equipment have been modified and up to dated so as to increase the satisfaction of the results and to reduce the complications but until the invention of Intralase Femtosecond Laser, no novalty has ever broke new ground in LASIK.
Intralase uses infrared laser and intralasik software to prepare the corneal flap in a depth and on a pozition as it is pre-determined. A thin flap is created in the cornea of the patient in a pre-calculated depth by means of water bubles and carbon dioxyde. These bubles enables the creation of a smooth layer between the corneal bed and the flap. Laser energy neither distorts the structure of the cornea nor effects it. No damage or change due to thin flap to be created is possible. The 3 – micron wide laser spot enables the conduct of operation with a superior sensitivity. Intralase applies the pattern first by applying the laser energy to the main point then making back and forth zig – zags on the cornea. Lastly, a laceration is made from the cornea by leaving the main point as stable. This process continues approximately 1 minute for each eye.
Why to Prefer the Intralase?
- IntraLASIK eleminated the potential complication of bladed mechanical keratomes and provided extra safety for patients.
- Since thinner flaps can be prepared with intralase, implementation of LASIK to the patients with thinner corneas is now available.
- Since thinner flaps can be prepared with intralase, excimer laser treatment ccan be implemented to the patients with high refraction defects.
- IntraLASIK provided a safer and more comfortable environment for both the surgeon and the patient. Both parties know that there will be no complication in the course of flap preparation. Thus, both the patient and the surgeon can be more relaxed.
- Intralase makes the LASIK implementation a laser application from the beginning to the end. All control is computerized and is accompanied with high sensitivity.
- Additionally, Intralase creates a flap which fits better to its place when re-placed.
- Preparing flap by using intralase is painfree and is more comfortable since it causes less pressure on the cornea.
What are the Differences Between the IntraLASIK and the LASIK?
The visual results of IntraLASIK are as good as those of classical LASIK . Also, intraLASIK has a higher potential of better vision. Various studies reported a longer duration, and more acceptible stabile visual strenght.
Is the IntraLASIK Operation too Expensive ?
Advanced technologies have always been more expensive in practice. Both the expensive costs of such devices with advanced technology and a certain set of disposables the use of which are obligatory in the practice result in high costs. However, the majority of the patients agree that the financial difference of the procedure is insignificant regarding the safety it provides. The only extra item requested for IntraLASIK operations in our hospit is a sterile disposable apparatus ( docking device ) which is needed for both eyes.
What is Femtolaser technology?
Think about an instance which begins and ends only in one – quadrillion of a second… This unit of time is called as femtosecond. Thanks to the high energy exposed to the tissue in this duration, a laceration can be made for flap on the cornea. With the introduction of this technology, the traditional lasik method is replaced with the intralasik (femtolaser) method (which has been used in our hospital for years) and lasik surgery. The reason why this method is called as non surgical laser is that the energy created for an extremely short time, that is femtosecond, replaces the blade.
What are the advantages of Femtolaser technology?
Creating the thin layer, that is the flap, needed for lasik surgery, without contact of any foreign body is a great advantage. The corneal laceration that we prepare in any depth or size that we prefer is made very effectively and safely, without using any blade thanks to the femtolaser. The results in our patients (who have been freed from the glasses thanks to laser technology) are excellent and complication – free thanks to this method.
Femtolaser technology does not only facilitate the preparation of flap in lasik surgery but also facilitates the implantation of rings through the tunnels created in the cornea for keratoconous patients. With this regard our patients can be rehabilitated in early period.
The most advanced technology used throughout the world in the laser surgery under the computarized control and free from human mistake is the femtolaser technology.